Friday, February 4, 2011

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Happy Year of the Rabbit, everyone!


The Friendship Archway was funded by Beijing, which, believe it or not, is DC's sister city. It has 7 roofs, 300 dragons, and is the largest single-span Chinese arch in the world.

If you're in DC this weekend and looking for a good time--wait, let me start over and sound like like a restroom stall--This weekend is DC's Chinese New Year Celebration, and you should go!! Every year, there's a big parade, a food and crafts market, and a giant firecracker. I should mention that it's actually lots of regular-sized firecrackers strung together, lest you think they have a rocket in the street. It's going to be Sunday afternoon from 2-5 on H St. between 6th and 8th. These pictures were taken at the celebration in 2009.


I could give you a long, socially-conscious diatribe about DC'st EPCOTesque Chinatown, the corporate domination of 7th St., the Chinese population being pushed into the periphery by the escalating costs of gentrification...but that would be (a) boring, and (b) hypocritical, since I frequent many of those chain stores and restaurants, as well as benefiting from the decrease in crime rates in my neighborhood. Instead, I'll give way to the less cerebral part of my brain and say look at all the pretty, shiny colors!!







Chinatown Express I still don't know what that orange thing is.


No comments:

Post a Comment