Saturday, February 19, 2011

Weekend Roundup: The Civil Wars and Eastern Market


I set two rules for myself when I started blogging again. The first--never go so long without posting that you have do a "round-up" of
everything you've done in a week/month. The second rule was to never write self-indulgent posts. But let's face it, it's a blog. That's what it's for. So, I might as well break the first rule too.

Last Saturday, I went with a friend, who has the coolest job in the world as a music blogger, to Jammin' Java in Vienna, VA to see the country/ roots/soul/bluegrassy/Americana duoThe Civil Wars. The funny thing about describing them like that is that I actually don't like any of those genres. But they've been on repeat on my pod since their first EP. If you'd like a soundtrack to play along with this post, You can open a new tab with this video(that I didn't record) from the concert. And since everybody likes free music, here's a link to The Civil Wars's (yep, that's grammatically correct.) free EP "Live at Eddie's Attic." You're welcome. I'm probably the only one who found this funny, but I went to see The Civil Wars on Lincoln's birthday.

On Saturday, I went to Eastern Market with another friend. And nothing says self-indulgent like a photo essay of one's day.


The food hall is full of independent grocers, butchers, fromageries, bakers, pasta makers, you name it.

It was the day before Valentine's Day after all.




I took the next two shots on a different day.

The first is of antique architectural elements that
are sold in the flea market outside section of Eastern Market. My apartment is getting
increasingly filled with stuff from the flea market; even my headboard is made of old tin ceiling tiles.







The picture on the right shows the inside of the food halls.












And finally rounding up the day with brunch at Pain Quotidien.



No comments:

Post a Comment