Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Best of 2011: Songs from June



Who were you expecting?

I don't know what took me so long. The album came out in February, and I didn't get it until June. Obviously, this was a major oversight on my part.  By June, I was sitting in empty rooms belting out the lyrics, and feeling the pulse of ever beat ripple through my soul.  Melodramatic much? Have you heard this song?  This song makes me want to tear open a bag of flour and burn down paper cities.



From the first notes of the piano, before her voice comes in, I always catch my breath before releasing in a long, slow exhale.  When I first heard "Rolling in the Deep" I was pretty certain that it was the best song every in the world ever, ever.  Then I heard "Someone Like You."  Then they set it to a black and white video in Paris.  It's like they put a giant bow on it and said "To Lori." It was made for me. You'll never convince me otherwise.



There are so many great songs on this album, from Don't You Remember to I Found a Boy, to  a handful of other bluesy, heart-wrenching ballads.

But it's really Someone Like You that makes everyone tingle.  Well, everyone with a heart and an iTunes account.




No comments:

Post a Comment